Your Store:
  • Interior Project Guide 4 - Choosing Accessories

Interior Project Guide


Choosing Accessories

Now you’ve chosen your colour, and your paint is sorted – but selecting the right accessories to apply your products will ensure a smooth and professional finish.


Choosing the right paint brush for your project is just as important as choosing the right paint.  While it may be tempting to save a few dollars by buying a cheaper brush, a quality brush holds more paint, makes paint application smoother and reduces paint splattering, resulting in a professional looking finish (and less clean up later!).

Choosing the brush type and size will depend on where the brush will be used. You will probably find you will need a few different brushes to complete your paint project.

Wall brushes

Wall brushes are the most standard and common type of brush. Typically available in square and oval brush shapes, they are suited to general broad wall painting. Wall brushes are designed to hold more paint due to the thicker bristles or filaments which creates a longer, smoother brush stroke.

Cutter Brushes

Cutter brushes are designed for use on trims, and for ‘cutting in’ before roller painting. They are specially made for door and window frames, and ceiling, wall and corner sections. They generally have less filament than wall brushes as there isn’t a need to hold as much paint in the brush, while the long handle helps to control the stroke. There are several alternative shapes in these long handle brushes.

Recommended Cutter  Best Used For
Sash Cutter A full bodied cutting in brush ideally suited for the application of water based paints.
Oval Cutter The oval shape gives greater control and accuracy on the edges of the brush, and holds more paint in the centre.
Angle Cutter Similar to a sash cutter however the top of the brush is made at an angle rather than straight across. The head of the brush and the ferrule are both made at an angle so that the tips of the filament or bristle are retained. This angle assists the user to be able to cut to a sharper more accurate area.
Lining Fitch A thin brush with stiff bristles to get into those hard to reach places. Also great for acheiving a straight line.

Brush Widths

The size or width of the brush will also need to be considered when planning your paint project.

Brush Width Best Used For
25mm Small jobs & touch-up work such as chairs & timber trim.
38mm Furniture, small panels, window frames, trellis, mouldings, shutters and downpipes.
50mm Small to medium size work such as doors, screens, table tops, railings and cabinets.
63mm Outdoor furniture, cupboards, gutters, eaves and doors.
75mm Medium to large areas such as fence posts and rails, floor boards, steps, skirtings and fascias.
100mm Large areas including walls, floors, ceilings, roofs, fences.


roller covers

Just like with paint brushes, choosing the right roller cover is an important step in the DIY project. Roller covers are made from different material types, each designed for certain surfaces, finishes and paint types.
Lambskin roller covers are naturally more absorbent, which means they can hold and release paint more efficiently. Lambskin roller covers are recommended on concrete and render surfaces.
Microfibre roller covers are generally used on ceilings and walls. Microfibre covers tend to have good pick-up and transfer of paint with minimal shedding.
Polyester covers are a lower quality of roller cover. They are best suited to interior walls, ceilings and rendered surfaces.
Foam rollers are best used on doors and trims as they are ideal for achieving high gloss finishes.
Mohair rollers are ideal for applying oil based and water based gloss and semi-gloss paints.
Textured roller covers are designed for application of specialty finishes e.g. fine cover texture, etc.


A “nap” is a term that refers to the height of the fleece on a roller cover. The larger the nap, the more paint that the roller cover can hold.

Nap Height Best Used For
4-6mm Best used for gloss paints.
10-12mm Best suited when applying matt, low sheen, undercoats to walls and ceilings.
15-30mm Most suitable for concrete surfaces and rendered walls.

Roller Accessories

A roller frame allows the roller cover to roll paint onto the substrate smoothly.

Using an extension pole gets a more even finish as the extension pole allows for longer brushstrokes to be used. Extension poles are commonly used when painting the walls or ceiling.

Drop Sheets:

Drop sheets, or drop cloths, are a protective covering used in a renovation or DIY project to protect furnishings, floorings and other objects from paint splatterings and dust. They are also a great tool used to restrict renovation messes to the DIY area, and make for an easier clean up once the project is completed.


Canvas drop sheets are an absorbent cloth that holds any spilt paint, and are available in a range of sizes. The absorbency of the canvas means the paint soaks into the drop cloth rather than pooling onto the surface, allowing for an easy clean-up and a slip-free painting area. Canvas drop sheets are incredibly durable, withstanding lots of wear-and-tear, and can be reused several times.


Plastic drop sheets are light-weight, cost effective and waterproof (unless they sustain damages, e.g. rips or punctures). Plastic drop sheets are only designed for one or two uses before being disposed.


Fillers are used when there are cracks, holes or imperfections in the substrate which need to be filled to ensure there is a smooth final surface.

Filler Type  Best Used For
Powder Fillers Powder fillers need to be mixed with water in order to apply to the surface. Powder fillers are a cost effective filler available for both interior and exterior substrates.
Lightweight Fillers There are ready-mixed fillers that are suitable for small to medium sized cracks and holes. Lightweight fillers are convenient and easy to use.
Ready Mixed Fillers Ready mixed fillers are a convenient option that is easy to apply. Ready-mixed fillers harden by evaporation, so it is likely to shrink during the drying process. When used on deep/large cracks and holes, it can take a long time to fully set.
Caulk Fillers Filler products are available in caulking tubes that allows for an easy application. Fillers that come in a caulking tube are generally made of flexible acrylic that dries as a smooth, plastic-like finish. They are generally used when filling gaps between skirting boards, door frames and architraves. A caulking gun is needed for application.


Abrasives are used to smooth the surface prior to painting. Sandpaper comes in different ‘grits’ (i.e. – coarseness). The lower the grit, the coarser the sandpaper is.
Abrasives are often available as: cork block, sandpaper roll, pads, sheets, pole sander.


Tapes are used to protect the surface from stray paint and spray, and helps to achieve a perfect line. Professional painter’s tapes are rated in days, which indicated how long the tape can be left on the surface without leaving any residue. High quality tapes also prevent edge bleed.  It is never recommended to use standard masking tape for your paint project as it often leaves a sticky residue and does not prevent bleed.

When removing tape, ensure the masking tape is removed at a 45° angle before the paint dries completely. If the paint is too dry, the masking tape can rip the paint film when it is removed. If the paint dries before the tape is removed, using a sharp blade, score the edge of the tape before removing so that it doesn’t pull paint away from the wall.